Saturday, January 23, 2010

ENG 1B Intro

Hi, fellow online students. My name is Jeff Cooley but most of my friends just call me Cooley. Easier to say I guess. I'm a Utilities Manager who is taken this class to satisfy the requirements for English so that I can get into the Environmental Resource Management online degree program at CSU Bakersfield. I was somewhat apprehensive about attempting an online English class seeing as I am far removed from my first encounters with literature and composition. I have taken several online courses before and if you are not self-motivated and self-disciplined you may as well forget it and pack it in. I like to read, mostly spy novels and historical novels, along with magazines such as ESPNtheMag, Sporting News, etc(gotta have a balance). My writing now is mostly developing policies or creating business letters and memos. I do think this class will enhance my writing skills and open up my psyche to a more enriched thinking and maybe reopen my aspiration and thirst to read more literature. And oh yea, I will have to work my butt off to pass, I know that now after the first few assignments. My other online class right now is Environmental Politics so maybe between the two, the two sides of my brain will cooperate with each other, and not battle it out for supremacy.

I started doing Triathlons three years ago so in between training for Tris, work, family, watching football, and my classes, my days and nights are filled up.

Looking forward to learning from everyone in the class.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jeff,
    Just wanted to comment on your in-depth journal entries. Very impressive. They are almost like mini essays in and of themselves! Also, I appreciate you sharing a very personal element of your reaction to the Chopin story.
    Thank you for your work ethic and commitment to this course.

    ReplyDelete