Saturday, March 13, 2010

DRJ#3-Hamlet-Act 3

My first reaction was what the heck is up with all the curtain spying going on, was that some sort of standard spying protocol in those days? We find in Scene 3 that even though Hamlet is spiraling out of control with his plots and plans, it is revealed that Claudius did in fact kill The King, and Hamlet's revenge is justified. Polonius' death was humilating for a person of his esteem, and his death begins a string of deaths that leads to the climax of the play. I cant help but think of, that in some way, it reminds me of Gladiator, the movie. Some scenes seem to continually make me think of that movie, but in that one a son kills his father the King and Gladiator is bound for avenging his death. Similar but different I guess.

Horatio is seen little in Scene 3 but he is, by Hamlet's own description, a complete opposite of Hamlet. Hamlet tells him "for thou hast been—
As one in suffering all that suffers nothing—A man that Fortune’s buffets and rewards Hast ta'en with equal thanks" which means that you are a calm person who takes things as they come and dont get too upset about what happens in life. Horatio seems to be somewhat balenced, but goes along with Hamlet's crazy plans anyway showing loyalty to Hamlet. Hamlet seems to demean Horatio but Horatio takes it in stride.

Loyalty is a theme I see in Act 3 due to the various players' allegiances being revealed and tested. Horatio is loyal to Hamlet and never thinks twice about helping him follow through with his revenge for his father. We see that Polonius is loyal to Claudius and pays the price for his blind loyalty. I have to admit his death scene actually was somewhat amusing, with his cry of "Oh, I am slain", and Hamlet's response to his death. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern (sounds like a law firm, sorry, I couldn't resist) show their loyalty to Gertrude and Claudius when they go to try to persuade Hamlet after the play. They know that Hamlet is on to them when he says "Why, look you now, how unworthy a thing you make of me!You would play upon me. You would seem to know my stops. You would pluck out the heart of my mystery." Also even though Hamlet reveals to Gertrude why he is so mad and angry, she seems to still not waiver from being loyal to Claudius. And what does all this loyalty get them? It gets them dead, thats all. Dead man walking....

5 comments:

  1. I found Polonius's last words funny too. I couldn't help myself giggling at this tragedy! It was fitting for Polonius; exeunt tragedian Polonius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect the amount of 'curtain spying' has almost everything to do with the fact that authors were probably smaller than the set-builders, and curtains were easier to get on stage than walls or statuary. Shakespeare didn't want to get pummeled by annoyed grunts, ergo curtains.

    It is tough not to chuckle when the old windbag is cut down, agreed. I'm still not sure that I see Polonius' loyalty to Claudius, though. Polonius seems very loyal to Polonius.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Patrick, Polonius death was alittle funny didn't know why he harped out help,help behind the arras. He should have kept quiet like a good spy he would be alive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked your post. You said a lot of things that I have been thinking so it was really entertaining to read. I don't get the curtain spying thing either. I like that loyalty was your theme choice. It was kind of ironic that Polonius was killed when he was so loyal to the king.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's ironic that one of the themes of Act 3 is loyalty and there is so much curtain spying going on! Great post! A lot of good points and fun to read!

    ReplyDelete