Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Hemingway Extra Credit

I moved to California from my hometown in Alabama in 1988 and then moved back in 2002. My experience was not as dramatic as Krebs, but I did feel like an outsider and a stranger in my old hometown. Many childhood friends had moved away but many had stayed and it was difficult for me to relate to their attitudes and their way of life. I was not accepted back in by many who believed I had come back a different person, not one of them any longer. They even remarked how I now had a California accent. My old friends and I had very different views on life. I felt I had experienced many different people and cultures in California and back home nothing had changed. They liked it that way. So I could see how Krebs came home and desired to be back in France or Germany. I only lived back home for four years until I returned to California in 2006. I have had conflict with myself ever since I moved back out here to California. The time I spent in my hometown made me appreciate a simpler lifestyle but I enjoy all that living in California offers. I am not sure if I feel more at home in California or Alabama.

No comments:

Post a Comment