If you feel this story was a nice love story with a heartfelt message about young love and innocence, you may not like what I am about to say. Updike’s attempt at writing what he considers a love story falls short of developing what I consider to be a real love story. When I think of romance and a love story, I see two people falling in love, facing some difficulties and dealing with the circumstances of their relationship. As I read “Summer” I saw Homer as holding an infatuation with Sandra, almost to a point of stalking. In the early part of the story it tells how he was watching her tan on the dock and it became almost disturbing to read how he would notice every line, every shade, and every movement she made. Growing up there were times where I was infatuated with a friend’s sister, but it was merely childish crushes and some fun, harmless flirtations, not a love story. This so called love story was a unilateral affection that was 99.5% about how he felt about her. At the very end they were lying on opposite ends of the couch and she rested her foot on his back by accident and it stayed there. That was the only indication throughout the whole story that she was vaguely noticing him at all. That doesn’t classify as a true love story to me. If she would have acknowledged she also had feelings for him, it would have made a better story. It would have shown that his silent love was returned with an open expression of her love for him.
Additionally Updike’s writing in this story is full of hyperbole with his constant over exaggeration of the settings and the actions of the characters. I found myself attempting to wade through his long winded explanations of such simple scenes of the porch and the dock. In the third paragraph he starts out with “From the cool darkness of the porch, smelling faintly of moldy books and kerosene and the tobacco of burning pipes, he sat looking through the screen to the lake, shimmering beneath the heat of a summer afternoon; a dog lay sleeping in the sun………”. I translated “A kid was sitting on a smelly old porch with a dog”. It didn’t make me stop and try to imagine what that scene was like, it made me want to “speed read” to the next paragraph.
I understood that Updike was trying to use the seasons to describe the situation with Homer, but I would have enjoyed a story with scenes and descriptions simply stated, not one in which I had to use a thesaurus just to get through it. I consider myself a romantic and enjoy a good romance novel or story such as Nicholas Sparks’ books, but “Summer” did not bring out any emotion in me other than an irritation and a need to classify Homer as just a creepy lonely dude with a crush on his friend’s sister.
Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I disagree, I thought this story was one of love; first love, goofy, immature, unsure, confused, emotional first love. I remembered boys behaving just like Homer did and I also remembered how confusing it all was and not being sure what role I was suppose to play. Maybe you felt Homer was a stalker because he seems old to us during the time we live in, but I was thinking the story might have taken place in the 1950's-60's when innocence lasted much longer than it does today. I would have to agree with you that this was also not my favorite story, but I am not a romance novel/story kind of person.
ReplyDeleteI felt similarly about Updike's story. His mood and setting were very different than anything I could have perceived to be a "love story." His constant description of the boy's surroundings, in such a dream-like manner, muddled any of the story's content that could have developed into a love interest. Though I could appreciate the characters, and what little development they were given, I could only find myself classifying this story with a "coming of age" theme.
ReplyDeleteNice post! I really enjoyed your take and interpretaion of the story! I think that on the surface this story could be classified as a love story, but with further analysis I can see that it falls short of key elements of what most people consider love.
ReplyDeleteAh, unrequited obsession. So close to young love, and yet so terribly, terribly far. I also thought his reaction at the end of the story is a bit scary and stalkerish. I think Updike uses all of the gushing summer imagery to conceal the lunacy of his main character.
ReplyDelete"It didn’t make me stop and try to imagine what that scene was like, it made me want to 'speed read' to the next paragraph."
So you must be a big Nathaniel Hawthorne fan then? ;)
I agree with Patrick, he did seem sort of scary and stalkerish at the end. This definitely wasn't a traditional love/romance story to me, but it was still an interesting situational story.
ReplyDeleteI like the story about young love because at that age, that is what young kid think love is. It can also be called a crush to those of us who have fallen in love, or infatuation, but to a kid that is experiencing it, it would be called love. I liked the way that the author described the scenes because it made you feel like you were right there in the moment. I guess this story brought back my youth and the summers I spent on the lake. The intese descriptions made it seem like I was right there again.
ReplyDeleteThanks for all the great comments, but how about the one comment regarding how I was posting a SSRJ that was not assigned. Thanks fellow classmates for being kind but next time let a guy know.
ReplyDelete